For me as a plant based runner I use smoothie bowls to focus on getting lots of nutrition in, especially with greens. The colour may be a bit off putting but you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, and I think you will be surprised. Again, you can make it however you want.
I would normally have this to start my day on a rest day or if I have an easy morning to enjoy.
Smoothie base options
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- ½ cup frozen spinach
- ½ cup frozen berries
- Chunk of fucumber
- 1-2 sticks of celery (include some leaves; they have a funny flavour but a lot of nutrients)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chunk ginger, peeled
- Green tea leaves (just empty a tea bag here to get the benefits)
- 2 tsp greens powder (I use Vital Greens)
- 2 tsp protein Powder (I use Vital protein)
- Coconut water
- Milk, plant milks, almond milk etc.
- Nuts and seeds, extra berries/banana, cacao nibs, granola, coconut, chia seeds. Anything!
- Place all the base ingredients you choose in a blender with a liquid (I like my smoothie bowls thick so I don’t add so much liquid. Just add until you are happy with the consistency). Pour or scoop into a bowl and make your design with your chosen toppings!