I used this fuel when I ran a 100 km race along the Great Ocean Road. I ran this race the day after I finished my year 12 studies and I knew it was going to be a tough race because the training had been minimal whilst the studying was high. I wanted something solid and my Mum had these at every aid station and it worked so well, making the pain on the legs that much less!
The Sweet potato gives the bars a good source of carbohydrates and a creaminess, the nuts, chia seeds and coconut oil add the protein and good fats, the dried fruit the sugars and the sweetness + salt for sodium replacement.
I also added some ginger to help any stomach issues and teaspoon on turmeric for anti-inflammatory properties. But be careful with these two ingredients! Too much and it can be full on!
- ½ cup steamed http://premier-pharmacy.com/product-category/erectile-dysfunction/ sweet potato with skin removed
- ½ cup cashews (better soaked for the stomach)
- ½ cup almonds (better soaked for the stomach)
- 4 dates, check for no stones
- 4 tblspn dried fruits, this day I used cranberries
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 tblspn chia seeds
- 2 tblspn coconut oil, melted
- 2 tblspn cacao powder
- Ginger and turmeric to your own taste, I added 1 tsp but I am used to these flavours!
Put all the ingredients into a blender and mix well. Put some baking paper in a tray and pour the mixture in and press down.
Place in freezer for 12 hours.
I cut it up and individually wrapped them to take for the running with some left for just enjoying at the checkpoints. They hold together well, sometimes a bit soft if it’s warm and the coconut oil liquefies so sometimes you have to lick the wrapping instead of biting. Enjoy.